miércoles, 3 de abril de 2019

DevOps part 3

For this task we were asked to work on the configurations of SSH for GitHub. The very first task of course was to ask Git to generate an SSH key. Everything ran pretty smoothly when following the instructions given by GitHub on how to do this. I was pretty happy to see myself doing this on my Ubuntu VM rather than having to deal with a bash for Windows or anything. The only point in which I had any problems was to copy the public key off the directory in which I created it. While I was aware of the place in which I left the SSH files, I didn't quite understand the command for creating them. While messing with it for 10 minutes or so adding and removing points and dashes I ended up opening a file open on gedit, but it turned out to be the private key. After another 10 minutes of doing the same thing I got the public key and managed to successfully added the key at the GitHub website.

Now I just had to test it quickly. I created a

file quickly directly on the GitHub website and pushed it. I just had to make a pull from my virtual machine, and yeah I had this problem in which I wasn't able to login. After some research I found out that it had nothing to do with the SSH configuration, it actually came from setting the two factor authentication. I asked for a token at the website and tried again with it and it worked. Good thing on my way doing so is that I learned that I can also use a SSH key specific to a repository for additional security. In the end the important thing was that the file was where it was supposed to be.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario